In the words of Julia Lawless
“Returning to nature is in vogue!”
Could that be any truer? Essential oils have been used for centuries around the world. They are aromatic compounds that are scientifically extracted from plants. They are extremely potent & effective, up to 50-70x stronger than the herbal equivalent! We have seen in more recent years, the extensive use of natural botanicals in skin care, household cleaning products and toiletries. Essential oil use is being more and more validated by scientific research and clinical tests, verifying their healing potential. If you’re not already on this wellness wagon….come on the journey with me to:
support the immune, digestive & respiratory systems
improve circulation & brain function
support restful sleep
enhance emotional wellness
“You can’t improve on mother nature and you shouldn’t try”
David Stirling, dōTERRA CEO
A quick search of “why dōTERRA” will lead you to so many resources, and here are some great videos and documents to learn more:
- Why dōTERRA? For me, I feel very secure and confident in using these specific oils because of this amazing company and its dedication to purity. Watch this.
- What are essential oils? Quick lesson available here.
- Differences in essential oil quality: Without an accepted standard for essential oil quality, doTERRA created its own testing process, calling it CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade®. The CPTG process certifies that there are no added fillers, synthetic ingredients, or harmful contaminants in their essential oils that would reduce their efficacy. Have a look at this video, and you can read about the science here.
- dōTERRA Co-impact Sourcing is their way of responsibly and sustainably sourcing plant material for essential oils. doTERRA has bravely entered this world of sourcing and impacting local communities. Watch here and here.
- Having myself studied environmental management, this is close to my heart. I truly believe that we have to concern ourselves with being responsible for our environment – this includes the social aspect, how are the harvesters and planters and growers benefitting? doTERRA has put plans in place for how they source.
The Basics of using Essential Oils
My favourite way to use essential oils aromatically is with an electronic cold air diffuser. The scent fills a room and, depending on what blends you put together, influence our mood and environment.
Oily Africa tip: Choose one oil per day and discover a new diffuser blend each day with that oil – Pinterest is a great resource for all things blends.
They have natural restorative and calming properties and can be used effectively with massage and beauty therapies – at home or at the salon!
Oily Africa tip: Make your own custom roller bottle blends for all shapes and sizes in your family – from infant to the elderly. Children love to choose their own selection to go into a roller bottle, simply take the lids off two or three bottles and wave under their nose to get the perfect combo for them.
This is a great blog post about ingesting.
Oily Africa tip: Putting a drop of peppermint and turmeric oil into your morning coffee gives a great boost to your system as well as being delicious! Not a coffee person? On Guard in some warm water with honey and lemon is a great morning kickstarter!